5.18.2009

Pay Attention - Eat Your Veggies!

I am a chronic dieter, it's no secret around here. Recently, I felt myself slipping away from this perpetual diet I've been on so I forced myself to re-evaluate things. I didn't think I was eating *too* bad, but my weight loss had stalled and I knew I needed to do something. I've started counting calories; much to my surprise, I can only have 1098 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week - my goal. 1,089 calories doesn't get you too much these days. The first few days after cutting back, I was surprised to see what I could live on and not "starve." I cut the amount of yogurt I use in my smoothie by half (that eliminates 55 or so calories). I also went from eating a bowl of soup and crackers (chased by a chocolate cookie) to just a cup of soup - no crackers, no cookie. I replaced my cookie with a 50 calorie piece of candy instead; it gives me the same mental satisfaction and nothing to feel guilty about. If you want to see how what you're eating stacks up, I highly recommend it. Try a free online calorie counting tool to find out how many calories you should be eating to either lose or maintain your weight. After you have your target amount of calories, start recording everything you eat. EVERYTHING - even that broken cookie hanging out in the bottom of the cookie jar or left over food off your kids' plates. It all adds up.

Also, in an effort to stabilize my blood sugar throughout the day and continue the path to weight loss, I've been trying to eat natural, unprocessed foods, and those low in sugar. I have also been trying to eat small meals about six times a day instead of three large meals - starving myself to the point of disillusion in between each.

Here's one recipe that is surprisingly satisfying and tastes like summer to me. Even the kids like it. :-)

Ingredients:

-2 cups frozen green beans
-1-2 cups of fresh, sliced, cleaned, mushrooms
-1T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Coarsely ground lemon pepper
-Coarsely ground sea salt

Directions: ((simple!!))

-Using a medium to large saute pan add the beans, mushrooms and top with the olive oil.
-Stir to coat add lemon pepper and sea salt to taste.
-Cover and cook over medium-high heat until veggies are tender.

Serve and enjoy!!! You won't believe the delicious flavor in this dish. If you choose to, add some grated Romano or Parmesan for a delicious kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment