5.20.2009

Summer Salad

For much of my life, I shuddered at the thought of eating a salad. I never realized that a bowl of salad contained so many wonderful possibilities until a few years ago. In the past, when I thought of salad the following image came to mind - a big bowl of cold, tasteless lettuce, covered in tomato slices (not my favorite) and ranch dressing. Blegh!

Recently, I've been doing some experimenting in the salad department. I want to share a refreshing summer salad recipe that I think you'll really enjoy; even if you're a non salad eater, you might be surprised. :) (The following recipe is for a single serving of salad - 1 bowl). You can modify it accordingly.

Ingredients:

-Spring mix lettuce
-1oz of crumbled Feta cheese
-1 peeled and sliced mini cucumber (or a few slices of a large one - English cucumbers are great!)
-1 slice of honey ham lunchmeat (or two slices if the slices are thin)
-2 medium sliced strawberries or one extra large strawberry
-2 tablespoons of a fruit salad dressing (e.g., cranberry, raspberry walnut, etc).

Directions:

-Add the lettuce, cheese, cucumber, and strawberries in your salad bowl.
-Roll the ham into a tight roll and slice into pieces.
-Add salad dressing
-Toss all to your liking and enjoy!!

This salad is like salad, lunch, and dessert all in one bowl of healthy deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment